Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Warm Toes Legacy

Larry's been on my mind almost always lately.
I find him there even though he crossed to the other side of the veil some 17 months ago now.
I have a sense that he's very busy with important work and I know that I need to get busy with important work of my own. I'm going to try to do better with "improving the shining hour" as the old hymm says.

Even so, memories of little things during our 51 years together drift into my thoughts and bring a smile as I remember them.
One is covered toes.

You see for the last few years of our working life Larry had a job that required him to leave the house very early in the mornings. Long before dawn.
I was teaching high school and had the luxury of a couple more hours of sleep before the other alarm went off.

Each day after Larry showered and dressed for work he gathered his things quietly in the darkened room so I could sleep. Then as he headed out the door he never failed to stop to cover my sleeping toes with blankets. They had slipped out into the cold during the night.
I thought this was such a sweet thing to do.  I always pretended to sleep waiting for him. Those covered toes were a treasure then and they mean even more to me now.

I never told him that I like my feet uncovered, cold or not, and I was always careful not to pull the blanket off again until he was safely gone.

I hope there was some little thing that I did for him that he remembers with a smile.




No comments: